Head of Research Area Boosting Decision Making
I study how to boost human judgment and decision making online and offline by understanding human and machine behavior. I combine insights and methods from cognitive science, collective intelligence ("wisdom of crowds"), heuristics, and algorithms. I also work on applications in digital environments, medical decision making, and meteorology. Furthermore, I am co-leading an initiative on reconfiguring behavioral science for crisis knowledge management in response to COVID-19 and other, future disruptive events (scibeh.org).
Full CV: PDF
- 2021 – Senior Research Scientist and Head of Research "Area Boosting Decision Making" | Center for Adaptive Rationality (ARC), Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin
- 2012 – 2021 Researcher | Center for Adaptive Rationality (ARC), Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin; since 2019 Head of Research Area "Boosting Decision Making"
- 2009 – 2012 Researcher | Cognitive and Decision Sciences, Department of Psychology, University of Basel
- 2009 Dr. phil. (summa cum laude/with highest praise) | University of Basel, Switzerland
- 2005 M. Sc. Psychology (summa cum laude/with highest praise) | University of Basel, Switzerland
- 2003 B. Sc. Psychology (magna cum laude/with great praise) | University of Basel, Switzerland
Five selected, recent publications
* shared authorships / equal contribution | $ senior authorship
Kozyreva*, A., Lorenz-Spreen, P., Hertwig, R., Lewandowsky, S., & Herzog*$, S. M. (in press). Public attitudes towards algorithmic personalization and use of personal data online: Evidence from Germany, Great Britain, and the US. Humanities & Social Sciences Communications. preprint: https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/3q4mg
Fleischhut, N., Herzog, S. M., & Hertwig, R. (2020). Weather literacy in times of climate change. Weather, Climate and Society, 12, 435–452. https://doi.org/10.1175/WCAS-D-19-0043.1
Analytis, P. P., Barkoczi, D., Lorenz-Spreen, P., & Herzog$, S. M. (2020). The structure of social influence in recommender networks. In WWW '20: Proceedings of the 2020 International World Wide Web Conference. Taipei, Taiwan - April 20-24, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1145/3366423.3380020
Litvinova, A., Herzog*, S. M., Kall, A. A., Pleskac, T. J., & Hertwig, R. (2020). How the "wisdom of the inner crowd" can boost accuracy of confidence judgments. Decision, 7, 183–211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/dec0000119
Kurvers, R., Herzog, S. M., Hertwig, R., Krause, J., Moussaid, M., Argenziano, G., … Wolf, M. (2019). How to detect high-performing individuals and groups: Decision similarity predicts accuracy. Science Advances, 5, eaaw9011. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aaw9011