Center for Adaptive Rationality
Phone: +49 30 82406-202
Memberships and Service (Selection)
- Member, German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, Section "Psychology and Cognitive Sciences"
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- Member, Wilhelm-Wundt-Gesellschaft
- Faculty, International Max Planck Research School on the Life Course (LIFE)
- Fellow, Max Planck School of Cognition
- Faculty, International Max Planck Research School for Computational Methods in Psychiatry and Ageing Research (COMP2PSYCH)
- Models of bounded and ecological rationality
- Decisions from experience
- The psychology of risk
- Lifespan development of decision making
- Evidence-based public policy (Boosting)
|2017||Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize|
|since 2016||Honorary professor, Freie Universität Berlin|
||Honorary Professor, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin|
||Director, Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin|
||Elected member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina|
|2005–2012||Full Professor for Cognitive and Decision Sciences at the Department of Psychology, University of Basel|
|2003||Habilitation in Psychology, Freie Universität Berlin|
|1995||Ph. D. (Dr. rer soc.) in Psychology, Universität Konstanz|
Selection of recent publications
(the complete list of publications can be found here)
- Hertwig, R., & Engel, C. (Eds.). (2020). Deliberate ignorance: Choosing not to know. MIT Press.
- Hertwig, R., Pleskac, T. J., Pachur, T., & The Center for Adaptive Rationality (2019). Taming uncertainty. MIT Press.
- Kozyreva, A., Lewandowsky, S., & Hertwig, R. (2020). Citizens versus the internet: Confronting digital challenges with cognitive tools. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 21(3), 103–156.
- Lorenz-Spreen, P., Lewandowsky, S., Sunstein, C. R., & Hertwig, R. (2020). How behavioural sciences can promote truth, autonomy and democratic discourse online. Nature Human Behaviour.
- Pleskac, T. J., Conradt, L., Leuker, C., & Hertwig, R. (2020). The ecology of competition: A theory of risk-reward environments in adaptive decision making. Psychological Review.
- Spiliopoulos, L., & Hertwig, R. (2020). A map of ecologically rational heuristics for uncertain strategic worlds. Psychological Review, 127, 245–280.