Max Planck Research Group Leader (W2)
Digital Mobilization Research Group
Center for Humans and Machines
Phone: +49 30 82406-758
Phone: +49 30 82406-753
- Computational Social Science
- Network Science
- Research Scientist Manager, The Media Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Principal Research Scientist, Data61, CSIRO
- Assistant Research Scientist, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- Postdoctoral Associate, Telefonica Research
- Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Computer Science, Brown University
- PhD, Computer Science, 2007, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
- Elected to the Advisory Board for Artificial Intelligence of the Spanish Government.
- Interview series on Machine Behavior released.
- Earliest study of contact-tracing via mobile phones to fight epidemics ("Epidemic Contact Tracing via Communication Traces," PLoS ONE, 2014) covered by Reuters, News 24 France, Max Planck Society, El Pais, Spanish National Radio. Kate Farrahi's lecture at Cambridge University.
- BeeMe Experiment Documentary wins Best Scientific MicroDoc at 2020 Miami International Science Fiction Film Festival; Official Selection Laurel for the 2020 Florence Film Awards. Academic paper published in IEEE Computer.
Selected Academic Publications
- Time-critical social mobilization. Science (2011). Covered by: New York Times, MIT News, Science News.
- Limits of social mobilization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (2013).
- Rapid assessment of disaster damage using social media activity Science Advances (2016). Covered by: Science Magazine, Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Smithsonian, Science News.
- Analyzing gender inequality through large-scale Facebook advertising data. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (2018). Covered by: Scientific American.
- Inferring mechanisms for global constitutional progress. Nature Human Behaviour (2018). Covered by: Nature News.
- Urban characteristics attributable to density-driven tie formation. Nature Communications (2013). Covered by: PNAS, The New York Times, The Atlantic, The Economist, Smithsonian, MIT News.
- Small cities face greater impact from automation. Journal of the Royal Society Interface (2018). Covered by: MIT Technology Review, New Scientist.
- Cooperating with Machines. Nature Communications (2018). Covered by: Science Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Le Monde, Nature, Nature Human Behavior.
- The evolution of citation graphs in artificial intelligence research, Nature Machine Intelligence (2019).
- Toward understanding the impact of artificial intelligence on labor, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (2019).
- Machine Behaviour. Nature (2020). Covered by: Forbes, MIT Technology Review.
For a comprehensive list of publications, check Manuel Cebrian's Google Scholar profile.