Job Code: 49/2019
Job offer from December 04, 2019
The Center for Humans and Machines, Max Planck Institute for Human Development, is seeking applications for a Postdoctoral Research Position (E 13 TVöD; 39 hours/week). Funding for the postdoctoral position is available for two years, with possibility of extension for a third year. The position is available from January 1, 2020, or later.
The successful candidate will work under the direct supervision of Dr. Niccolò Pescetelli (Hybrid collective intelligence group). Long-term supervision and strategic advice will be provided by the Center’s director Dr. Iyad Rahwan.
The project aims to understand whether artificial agents can enhance group decision-making in complex environments. The post-doctoral researcher will model collective behavior in digital spaces that feature an ecosystem of human and artificial agents. They will carry out computer simulations and be involved in the creation of artificial agents that can be deployed experimentally.
The successful candidate will have no formal teaching requirements. The project is part of the Center for Humans and Machines (director: Iyad Rahwan) at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development (MPIB) in Berlin. The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary team with a clear scientific question, to produce high impact publications in top journals.
We are searching a postdoc with a strong interest and established expertise in computational social science. The successful applicant will be a data scientist with a strong interest in simulations and human collective intelligence. The position is open to candidates holding a doctoral degree in computer science or in a related field.
The successful applicant needs to possess:
- Outstanding experience in data science and/or computational social science, as demonstrated by a track record of publications in top scientific journals and conferences
- Experience in simulations and modeling of human behavior
- Experience in one or more of the following: collective intelligence, collective behavior, group decision-making, social contagion, social learning
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to work in a multidisciplinary and fast paced environment
- High proficiency in English
Proficiency also in one (or more) of the following skills will be a plus:
- Familiarity in Bayesian statistics
- Familiarity with machine learning or network science
- Familiarity with behavioral testing and experimental design
- Familiarity in deploying simulated agents on large networks
The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds. The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
To apply, please send (as one file and via email, with the sentence “Postdoc application in collective intelligence” in the subject line) a statement of research interests, a CV, a copy of relevant certificates, (p)reprints of two publications, and a list of two references to Prof. Dr. Iyad Rahwan, MPI for Human Development, Lentzeallee 94, 14195 Berlin (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are kindly asking you to submit your application without a photo.
Receiving of applications will continue until the position is filled and evaluation of applicants will start on a first-come-first-serve basis.